There was an error in this gadget

Monday, July 8, 2013

Penang Holidays and Vacation Rental

We are a local Transportation Services Agency here to provide Travelers and Business Delegates a wide ranges of transportation and transfer services for your Holidays and Travel Needs or Business Trip Meeting and Factory Visits.

We provide: "Executive Taxi Cab Service", "Limousines Service", "Airport/ Hotel Transfer", "Overland Inter States Transfer and Tour", "Coach Transfer Service", "Car Rental Service", "Van Rental With Driver Service", "City Tour/ Sightseeing Service", "Private Tour/ Free & Easy Tour Service", "Coach Tour Service", "Boat Tour Service" and as well as "Homestay Services".

* For booking or reservation, please do not hesitate to contact us with the information below;

Email: inquiry.happypearlisland@gmail.com
Call: +6011-10504744 (Ms. Ten) 
iMessage/WhatsApp: +6011-10504744
Telegram: happypearlisland 
WeChat ID: happypearlisland
LINE: penanghappytours
Instagram: happypearlisland 

For more Social updates engagement please Like or Follow us as below:

https://www.facebook.com/happypearlisland
https://instagram.com/happypearlisland
https://twitter.com/penangtransport
https://www.google.com/+HappyPearlIslandTransportServicesGeorgetown


1) Transportation Tour Services;

A) Executive Saloon Car Day Tour

B)  MPV Day Tour 

C)  Van Day Tour

D) Mini Bus Tour

E) Coach Tour

2) Overland Inter State and Business
      Trip Transfer;

Ipoh / Taiping / Perak
Kedah / Thailand Border
Kuala Lumpur 
KLIA/KLIA2
Cameron Highland 
Genting Highland
Melaka
                                                   
                                         

Nissan Selphy


Nissan Grand Livina


Toyota Innova

Toyota Hiace Van

Nissan Urvan

Hyundai Starex

Weststar Mini Bus



* Penang Tourist Point or Places of Interest:

*** Latest Tourist Point Attraction***            

Made in Penang Interactive Museum (3D Art Gallery)









Made In Penang Interactive Museum is a first of its kind in Penang. This is also the Must Visit Place and famous tourist point to talk and share about! 

This Museum is in the sprawling Behn-Meyer Buliding in Weld Quay near the Ferry Terminal. When you first walk in you can see a mural 33m long and 10m high along the alleyway of the building.

The mural depicts Weld Quay in the early 19th century when it was a bustling port used by the English and the Germans. On the ground floor of the gallery is an exhibition of clay and plaster figurines that showcase the culture and the history in Penang. There is also a 10m long model Weld Quay in the early 1990s. 

This gallery has offers a 34 giant 3D art pieces in the second floor that are not only creative but also telling you the stories about Penang lifestyle, culture and history. 


The History Museum of Penang



The History Museum of Penang displays a fine collection of old photographs, draws and maps of Penang. The story of Penang was written in 5 different languages such in English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Malay.

Many historical relics are exhibit in the museum such as Malay and Indian cooking utensils, Baba-Nyonya wares and wear, the 1950s worker's quarters and more. Sculptures and dioramas are also display to give visitor a better picture of Penang history.



The Camera Museum







First of it kind in South East Asia - The Camera Museum!! Now only in Penang!!


In today's fast-paced life, cameras have been part of our daily routine, so much so that we haveforgotten how this magnificent invention came about. Where did camera come from? Who invented the camera? What is it like to take a picture in the 1900's? How did the world's first camera look like?

To answer these questions, come over to the Camera Museum, located in a two-storey pre-war shop house along the George Town UNESCO World Heritage Site. 
The Camera Museum’s collection consist of Camera Obscura, Daguerreotype, Box Camera, Folding Camera, Large and Medium Format Camera, 35mm Camera, Single and Twin Lens Reflex, Point and Shoot o Instant and Digital Camera from the eighteenth century right up till present day from all over the world including, Britain, Europe, France, India, Japan Russia and Thailand which made a complete camera evolution timeline for the exhibition.

Amidst the display, visitors will get the opportunity to handle actual antique cameras and the experience booth will allow them to feel the weight of the relics like the iconic Kodak Brownie, Rolleiflex and FoldingCamera in their very hands at the museum exhibition hall on second floor. Aspires to bring back the time through its exhibit captivating stories of how camera have transcended our human history since the fifteenth century, The Camera Museum believes that cameras need to be experienced.

International photography festival like Obscura Festival and environmental friendlyPinhole Camera Project workshop (for local High School youth) have been held at The CameraMuseum since the opening of the museum in June 2013. National Geographic Photographer,Maggie Steber has showcased her ‘Audacity of Beauty Captions ‘ at The Camera Museum’sgallery. One of the long running gallery programs is the monthly photography exhibition, featuringlocal and international award winning photography works giving the visitors excellent opportunitiesto participate in interesting photography programs and many more at the museum gallery.

There are two more must visits of the establishment. First of the two is The Camera Museum's very own cafe wittily coined Double Exposure. Its a place for visitors for sit down and grab a bite while they discuss and digest their one of a kind museum experience. Next is the camera inspired souvenir shop that sells exclusive t-shirts designed by their own artists, along side other fun and uniqueamera inspired gifts and souvenirs.
Entrance Fee: RM20
Students/Senior Citizens: RM10
Opening Hours: 9.00am – 8.00pm daily.


- Bring Back The Time! -




1) QUEEN VICTORIA MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER







The Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower at King Edward's Place is one of the most recognizable icons of Penang Island and it is a testament to Penang’s royal connections. Commissioned in 1897 by a local millionaire, Cheah Chen Eok, who eagerly wanted to flaunt their wealth in the eyes of their British administrators, to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. It stands 60ft-high, each  foot representing a year of the Queen’s 60-year reign. Unfortunately, she never visited Penang, nor did she ever live long enough to see her Clock Tower completed. By the time it was completed in 1902, the Queen had died.

There are plenty of streets and landmarks all over the island named after blue bloods but The Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower, set on King Edward’s Place in Georgetown, is one of its best known. Interesting fact: although it is hardly noticeable, due to the impact from bombs being dropped around it during WWII, The Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower leans to one side, much like the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Located south of Fort Cornwallis, The Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower was built at a cost of 35,000 Straits dollars and the gleaming whitewashed tower is topped by a Moorish dome. It has four tiers: the base is octagon-shaped and the following two tiers comprise four distinct sections with elaborate windows, balconies and a working clock on each side. The topmost tier is rounded off with Roman pillars and topped with a golden dome cupola. 

The six steps leading up to the main entrance denote the number of decades of Queen Victoria's reign. Right beside The Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower is a 48m-high Pinang structure (a metal betel nut sculpture), which looks like two halves of the Pinang fruit.


2) WORLD LARGEST TOY MUSEUM







PENANG TOY MUSEUM

A Place For Fun and Laughter
Inspiring Creativity at Penang Toy Museum


Toy may be children best friend, but when you talk about a large museums filled with hundreds of thousands of toys - it is no longer a child’s play. The museum is a must visit attraction in Penang as this is where all the fun begins.

Reputed as the largest of its kind in the world, the Museum house over 100,000 toys, dolls and others fun collectibles. It has also entered Malaysia Book of Records as the first toy museum in the country and with the largest toy and figurine collection. 


Passion for toys is where it all begins, says the proud owner Loh Lean Cheng of his collections. He was inspired with toys collection after visiting the London Toy and Model Museum at the age of 19.

For the past 30 years - Starting from the first toy that he bought in 1973 at 0.5 pound (Popeye), his collection just keeps on growing and growing. Today, almost everything that you ever think of (on toys) can be found here.

Used to be located in Jalan Tanjung Bungah, the museum now has moved to Teluk Bahang, Penang.

Inside, the museum is divided into few categories that consist of:
Chamber of Horror
Chamber of Monsters
Chamber of Fantasy
Chamber of Comic Book Heroes
Cave of Dinosaurs
Fields of Combat
Hall of Virtual Reality
Hall of Rock Legends
Hall of Celebrities
Halls of Cartoons
Hall of Beauties.
Star Wars Collections
& More...

According to Mr. Loh, some of his toys come from a rare limited edition that he acquired during his traveling around the world. One of the most expensive collections that he has is the 1.8m-tall Gundam robot from Japan, which cost about RM9, 000.

When you walk around certain section of the Penang Toy Museum, you'll get to experience chilling voices, weird sound and motion effects triggered by motion sensors that are installed to enhance the atmosphere of the surrounding. The wall of the museum is creatively decorated with the famous ancient Egyptian monument such as the Great Sphinx and the Pyramids of Giza. Picture's below tells a thousand words. And if you still want more, click here to see video version of the museum.

Visitors who have been to Penang Toy Museum are pretty much happy and satisfied with what they see. 

- A Doctor from Singapore Mr. Kumar who brought his family of 5 to the museum conclude that it is a great place where by adult and children can experience the finest collection of toys which are very rare. The sound effect triggered by the sensors really freaks me, he says beamingly.

- A housewife from K.L Madam Gan who went together with her children's says that it's interesting & amazing to know that - How her young children are able to recognize the cartoon characters they usually see from the movies.

- An Architect from Thailand said - The exhibition is a treasury of toy masterpiece representing the most beautiful toys in the world.

- A group of children who came here from a tour organize by schools just enjoys what they see in the museum. It's an unforgettable experience for many of them.

There will more toys collection to be added, according to the museum owner who received a healthy 1000 to 2000 visitors per day.

And with so many people flocking to his museum, looks like his passion for toys did bear fruits. Don't you agree? 


3) iBOX GLASS MUSEUM ( Only in Penang)











The iBox Museum of Glass is a private specialty museum located along Mount Erskine Road, Penang. Formerly located along Kelawei Road, it relocated to its present location in September, 2009. It was officially opened on 8 October 2011 by Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng. The museum-cum-store-outlet is run by i-box Design Sdn Bhd, a company specializing in decorative glasswork.

At the Museum of Glass, visitors get to admire different techniques in creating glass ornamentation including fused glass, sandblasted glass, stained glass and glass overlaying. Examples of usage of glass are also showcased, among them for signages, window panels, light fixtures, objets d'art and souvenir items such as fridge magnets and paper weights.

The Museum of Glass has the longest glass artwork in Malaysia, as certified by the Malaysia Book of Records. The artwork, carrying the 1Malaysia theme, measures 40 feet in length and 4.5 ft in height.


The Museum of Glass is open at the following times:
Mondays to Fridays: 9:30 am to 6:30 pm
Saturdays: 9:30 am to 5:00 pm
Closed on Sundays
The museum is closed for lunch from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm

Admission is free.


4)  COFFEE TREE PENANG








For all the world Coffee Lovers, this is  a Must Visit Local Coffee Tea & Chocolate House when you are in Penang! This local coffee brewer is using the Finest Arabica Coffee Bean for their own unique roasted method. The Original flavor is Penang White Coffee which also have a (sugar-free) flavor. There are also some other flavors that they have such as:

Special Brew Black Coffee
Tongkat Ali White Coffee
Tongkat Ali Black Coffee
Tiramisu Coffee
Coconut White Coffee
Coffee & Tea (Yuan Yang)
Durian Coffee
Espresso
Mochacino
Cappucinno
Cafe Machiato
Cafe Latte

They also have many types and flavors in their local made premium chocolates.


5) PENANG BATIK FACTORY









Penang Batik Factory is one of the pioneers of batik manufacturing on the island. Established in 1973 by Craft Batik Sdn Bhd, it is set in Teluk Bahang, a short walk away from the Penang Botanic Gardens. The complex is divided into three sections: an art gallery, boutique and workshop.


Surrounded by lots of tropical greenery, it is one of Penang’s well known sightseeing spots and offers a wide variety of quality batik, from block prints batiks to hand-drawn pieces. At the Penang Batik Factory, unlike the usual one-sided print, each piece features patterns and colours on both sides of the fabric: the complex provides free, guided daily tours.

Batik art, ranging in size from small portraits to huge tapestries, made at the Penang Batik Factory are first displayed at the Art Gallery. Available for sale, these pieces can cost up to several thousand ringgits each and are created by some of the country’s most renowned batik artists. 

Visitors looking to buy batik clothing can look around the Boutique, where batik-print men's dress shirts, sarongs, scarves and more (even haute couture gowns!) can be found. Meanwhile the Workshop is an open-air annex beside the Boutique where you can see artists drawing, colouring and stamping batik patterns on fabrics. It is quite a sight to see, with each artist specialising in a particular product, from sarongs to shirts: an artist can produce about ten metres of fabric a day.


Opening Hours: 09:00 – 17:30 







6) PENANG FLOATING MOSQUE








Masjid Terapung or the Floating Mosque was built in 2004 in a bid to replace an older mosque which was damaged in the year’s major tsunami disaster. Situated along Tanjung Bungah’s stretch of beach, the mosque is an architectural wonder with its Moorish design, seven-storey-high towering minarets and 360-degree panoramic view of the sea. It’s the first mosque in the country to be built on the sea, with pillars and stilts supporting its majestic structure. Covering an area of 1,295sqm, it can accommodate up to 1500 people during prayer times.

This Tanjung Bungah Floating Mosque was built at the cost of 15 million and covers an area of 1295 sq meters. It also has a towering minaret. The height of the minaret is equivalent to that of a seven-storey building. From there, the call to prayers, or azan, is announced at specific times of the day.











* Opening Hours: N/A, but permission to enter must be obtained from the mosque officials. No shoes are allowed inside the mosque, and all visitors must be decently dressed. Closed during Friday prayers (from 12:00 – 14:30). 










7) SLEEPING BUDDHA / RECLINING BUDDHA TEMPLE (Wat Chayamangkalaram)






The Reclining Buddha Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram) is also known as the Sleeping Buddha by the locals. This temple is a Thai temple and it is well known due to the gold plated reclining Buddha that is as long as 33meters. This made it one of the largest available in the whole wide world. The temple was built in the year of 1845 on the five acres land given by Queen Victoria to the Thai's community. The reclining Buddha represents the historical Buddha at his death, with the name of Pra Buddhachaiya Mongkul which is a symbol to a complete peace and detachment from the world. You will be greeted by two statues right outside of the temple entrance. Remember to take off your shoes when you step into the temple. Behind the reclining Buddha, you can see there are many niches, containing the ashes of devotees. There is a small Thai village and a Thai cemetery just behind the temple. 





8)  BURMESE BUDDHIST TEMPLE ( DHAMMIKARAMA )





Standing tall among all the beautiful and mysterious temples in Penang is the Dhammikarama Burmese Temple. As the first Buddhist temple to be built in Penang back in 1803, Dhammikarama is a temple filled with 
striking features and rich past.

It provides a historical evidence of Burmese occupation in Penang as well as the retreat for Buddhist devotees. The temple is located at the enclave of Burmah Lane in Pulau Tikus 
alongside another magnificent architecture of Wat Chaiya (A Thai Buddhist temple).

According to history, the 200 years old Dhammikarama was formerly called Nandy Moloh Burmese temple as the land was originally purchased by a Burmese, Nonya Betong from the British. After receiving the land title, Nonya Betong donated the land for the construction of Dhammikarama temple. Even today, the lane that houses two distinctive temples Penang is named Burmese lane - One of many streets and alleys in Penang Island that retained their old historical names until now.

Here, you'll be able to see some of the mythical figures and religious icons that occupy the spacious temple compound that includes bell-bearing acolytes, myriad of Buddha's and flying beings. There are two huge and imposing-looking chi lings (a fabulous being that is a hybrid of a dragon, horse and a lion) flank the entrance to the main prayer hall. Several Buddha statues in different meditative poses nestle in grottos marked with the names of individual donors can also be seen.

A pair of winged chimeras called Panca Rupa or "Guardian Protectors of the World" standing on a replica of the world Globe is another interesting feature of the temple. The chimeras are actually mythical beasts that have features belonging to various animals.

Others main attractions includes historical Pagoda, a 200 years old well huge man-made water catchments filled with carps, the main shrine hall and the sacred Sima hall where a very tall and large all-marble Buddha image situated. The original Sima hall is a historical building built in 1838 but has since rebuild in 1995 following the increase in the number of devotees and visitors.

When you walk further in the temple compound, you'll see a big three-dimension (3D) wall mural and a tableau that depicts the Great Renunciation of Prince Siddhattha. The big pool
in front of the mural is a wishing pool that have several revolving metal bowls labeled with wishes such as health, wealth and others.

Visitor will normally throw coins into the bowl 
hoping for their wish to be fulfilled. Coins 
collected from the pool will be donated to the temple.

You will experience tranquility, calm, ambience and peaceful surrounding whenever you enter the main prayer hall. Voices are respectfully reduced to a whisper, but the quiescence is occasionally broken by the ringing of one of the many bells found in the gardens.

Throughout the calendar year, the temple carries out numerous activities for Buddhist devotees such as Water Festival, Wesak Day celebration, Pali Chanting classes, Observance of Buddhist lent, Festival of light, Katnina, Ordination of monks, nuns and novices, Arahant Upaguttea festivals, Dhamma Discourses, Meditation 
classes, schools gathering, offering of food to 
the poor and etc.

Because of the temple beautiful surrounding and well maintained grounds, it wins the first prize in Penang state Landscaping and Beautification Program in the year 2001. And in 1998, Dhammikarama was designated as one of the fifteen Penang State Heritage Sites to be preserved as tourist attraction due to its long and extraordinary history.



9) KHOO KONGSI TEMPLE


Khoo Kongsi is a grand temple that shines brightly along Lebuh Cannon. It was built to serve as a clan-house for ember of the Khoo family. The walls, pillars and roof are richly decorated with intricate carvings bearing the marks ofmaster craftsmen from China and the beams are made from wood of the finest quality. the temple was rebuilt in 1920 after it was gutted by fire. Some belive the fire was brought about because of the resemlace to the Emperor's Palace in China. During the seventh lunar month, the temple comes alive with Chinese opera performances.

History
Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi, or Khoo Kongsi for short, is one of the most distinctive Chinese clan associations in Malaysia. It is well known worldwide for its extensive lineage that can be traced back 650 years, as well as its closely-knit and defensive congregation of buildings and a magnificent clanhouse. 

Khoo Kongsi, together with Cheah, Yeoh, Lim and Tan Kongsi, were known as the Five Big Clans (Goh Tai Seh) that formed the backbone of the Hokkien community in early Penang. Since mid-19th century, having identified their respective bases, these kongsi rooted themselves in an area stretching from Chulia Street Ghaut in Georgetown to the lower part of Beach Street in the south. With the respective clanhouses as the nuclei, these kongsi demarcated their territories with their own terrace houses on three or four sides of the perimeters. This adjoining, closely-knit and defensive model settlement, like a clan village in the colonial city, is a rare form of congregation practised among migrant communities.


Opening Hours - Daily, including Sundays and Public Holidays: 9 am to 5 pm




10) KEK LOK SI TEMPLE




The Kek Lok Si Temple is a Buddhist temple situated in Air Itam in Penang and is one of the best known temples on the island.The construction of the temple began in 1893 and was inspired by the chief monk of the Goddess of Mercy Temple at Pitt Street. With the support of the consular representative of China in Penang, the project received the sanction of the Manchu Emperor Guangxu, who bestowed a tablet and gift of 70,000 volumes of the Imperial Edition of the Buddhist Sutras.

The primary benefector of the the Kek Lok Si Temple in 1906 was none other than Kapitan Chung Keng Quee.In 1930, the seven storey main pagoda of the temple or the Pagoda of 10,000 Buddhas, was completed. This pagoda combines a Chinese octagonal base with a middle tier of Thai design, and a Burmese crown; reflecting the temple's embrace of both Mahayana and Theravada Buddhism.

In 2002, a 30.2m bronze statue of the Kuan Yin was completed and opened to public. The statue is located on the hillside above the pagoda.The rambling temple consists of many prayer halls, pagodas, bell towers and just about every other typical temple structure you can think of, in varying styles from Burmese to Chinese to Thai. However, two structures dominate the scenery, especially when the temple is seen from afar. One is the seven storey pagoda which dates from the temple's founding. The other is a huge bronze statue of the Goddess of Mercy, Kuan Yin -- a popular diety in Penang. The statue was newly completed in mid-2003 but construction of various surrounding structures is still under way.

History

The history of Kek Lok Si can be traced to the late 19th century. The founder and first Abbott of Kek Lok Si was the Venerable Beow Lean, who was born into a devout Buddhist family in Fujian province in 1844. At the age of 33, he left his occupation as a businessman to devote his life to the teachings of Buddhism. In 1885, he came to Penang with the aim of obtaining donations for the renovation of a monastry in Fuzhou, China.

As faith would have it, the trustees of the oldest temple in Penang, the Kuan Yin Teng (Godess of Mercy Temple) in Pitt Street, offered him the position of Chief Monk-in-residence. Impressed by the deep devotion of the Penang Chinese to Buddhism, he accepted and settled down in Penang."A man determined can move a mountain, but a man devoted can carve one". It was through the sheer diligence, determination and devotion of Venerable Beow Lean that the Kek Lok Si temple began to take shape. With the blessing of his superiors and the unstinting support of five local tycoons, the first phase of the temple complex, which consisted of a series of monasteries, prayer halls, and landscaped gardens, was built between 1891 and 1905.

Even in those early times, fund-raisers were experienced enough to dedicate structures and artefacts to the temple's benefactors. These five substantial benefactors became known as the "Big Five Supporters" of the Kek Lok Si and their life-like sculptures and those of a few other donors are kept in the upper floors of the Tower of Sacred Books, to perpetuate the memory of their generosity.Such was the renown of Kek Lok Si, it even gained the imperial sanction of the Manchu Emperor Kwang Xi who presented the temple with a set of 70,000 volumes of the Imperial Edition of the Buddhist Sutras, the Emperor's hand-written scripts, and several other relics.

Well-known Empress Cixi of the Ching Dynasty also wrote and presented hand-written scripts to the temple. The inscription in Chinese calligraphy Ta Seong Pao Dian on this plaque (picture, right) was written by His Majesty Emperor Kuang Xi of Ching Dynasty and was presented to the First chief Abbot of Kek Lok Si in 1904.Today, these priceless heritage relics still exist in the temple archives.

* Opening hours: 9.00am - 6.00pm




11) SNAKE TEMPLE



Built in 1805 in the memory of the renowned Chinese monk Chor Soo Kong, the Snake Temple is situated in the small town of Bayan Lepas and is famous for the fact that it has pit vipers living on the temple ground. Legend has it, that Chor Soo Kong, who was also a healer, gave shelter to the snakes of jungle. After the completion of the temple, snakes appeared on their own accord. Today the snake population of the Temple of the Azure Cloud is very small, due to the urbanization of the area, but you can still see them coiled up on the altar tables, and touch them if you are brave enough. Originally the snakes were said to be rendered inoffensive by the smell of the incenses, but just for good measure, today the resident vipers are devenomed.

History 

The origins of snake temples and snake worship go back thousands of years. According to the Columbia Encyclopedia, the snake represented many things to different religions – he was Apollo (the moon god) to the Grecians or Ra (the sun god) to the Egyptians.

The snake has also been variously described as a phallic deity, as a solar deity and as a god of death. The ancient Toltec and Aztec peoples worshipped a colourful feathered serpent called Quetzalcoatl, a half-divine, half-human being who was the great teacher of mankind.

In the field of medicine, the staff of Aesculapius with a coiled serpent became the traditional symbol of medicine and healing. It is told in Genesis that Moses held up a bronze serpent on a staff to cure the Jews of snakebite.

Closer to home, the Hindus, Burmese and Siamese people worshiped the snake as a demon who also had good aspects. The present-day worship of Krishna and Vishnu includes elements borrowed from primitive Hindu snake cults. The shedding of the snake's skin is interpreted by Buddhists as a form of regenerative power.

In China the serpent assumes the form of a dragon, a mythical being which is both fierce yet protective. In Penang, the so-called snake temple was actually built to honour a human deity – the snakes appeared soon after completion of the building.

Beginnings

A monk journeying to Penang from China in the 1800s had in his possession the statue of a famous deity called Cheng-Swee Chor-Soo or Chor Soo Kong, whose name means "an eminent historic figure who is continuously revered by a community generation after generation".

The monk also brought with him myths and legends of this particular deity's power in healing sickness and granting favours to believers. Thus when British resident David Brown (owner of Glugor Estate) heard of this deity and was subsequently cured of an illness in 1873 after praying to him, he donated a tract of land so a temple may be built in homage of the deity who healed him. It is on this land which the Snake Temple has stood for over a century.

The architecture of the temple is a design commonly found in Southern China. Three dimensional sculptures constructed using a technique knows as Chien Nien (cut and paste) from shards of coloured porcelain decorate the roof.

Legend has it that after the temple was built, snakes from the surrounding forest mysteriously appeared in the building. Sensing this phenomenon as a good omen, the monk immediately gave shelter to the snakes and allowed them to take up residence in the sacred halls. They were even allowed to breed. A 600 pound bell made in China during the Manchurian Dynasty (1886) still hangs in the main hall.It is rung on the 1st and 15th days of every month of the Chinese calendar to invite the denizens of heaven and hell to pray.

* Opening Hours
Weekdays :   Early morning to late evening
Weekends & Public Holidays :   Early morning to late evening




12) CHEONG FATT TZE BLUE MANSION 



Built in the 1880s, this famous indigo-blue Chinese Courtyard House in Georgetown was the residence of Cheong Fatt Tze. The majestic mansion was built by master craftsmen from China using building materials imported from the West over a seven year period between 1896 and 1904. The Cheong Fatt Tze mansion of 38 rooms, five granite-paved courtyards, seven staircases and 220 windows was designed to reflect Cheong Fatt Tze’s stature and eclectic approach to life. 

Career
Initially, he had worked as a shopkeeper in Indonesia. After his marriage, he established a trading company with the help of his father-in-law. Gradually, he began to accumulate his wealth through hard work and perseverance.

* In 1877, he began to expand his business from Jakarta to Medan. His business was mainly based on agricultural products such as rubber, coffee and tea. But he had diversified his business to the financial sector by acquiring a bank. This move had made him a wealthy man.

* In 1886, he decided to expand his business to Penang, Malaysia, by setting up a company here. As his business grew, he owned three ships which plied between Penang and Sumatra. In the course of his work, he occasionally resided in Penang and he owned a mansion in Leith Street, which stands to this day.

* In 1890, in recognition for his hard work and contribution, he was appointed the Chinese Consul, based in Penang. Eventually, this office was shifted to Singapore, as during that time, Singapore was established as a well-known trading port in South-East Asia. As the Chinese Consul, he worked tirelessly for the interests of Overseas Chinese residents through diplomatic channels with the British authorities.

* In 1899, he was summoned back to China twice by the Emperor of China and instructed to present a national development plan, which was well received by the Qing Dynasty Government. As a result, he was promoted to be the Minister for agriculture, industries, roads and mines for the provinces of Fujian and Guangdong. Later he was instructed to conduct a study of trade and education in Penang and Singapore. Subsequently, the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce was established.

* In 1912, the Republican overthrew the Qing Dynasty Government and took over the administration of China. Cheong was appointed as a member of the Legislative Assembly so that he could be actively involved with politics. He was also appointed as the Chairman of the Chinese national Chamber of Commerce, which was well received by all parties.

* In 1915, he was sent to the United States to study all aspects of industrialization of that nation. During his journey, when he stopped over in Hong Kong, he was awarded a Ph.D. in Law.

* Cheong Fatt Tze died in Indonesia in 1916. His body was sent back to China to be buried. On its final journey through Penang, Singapore and Hong Kong, the overseas Chinese were greatly saddened by the loss of this great personality. The Chinese government sent a high-ranking official to his funeral and ordered the National Archives to record his life in historical documents so that his contributions would always be remembered.

Mansion
Cheong Fatt Tze (1840 - 1916), a Hakka from Tai Pu in the Teochew district, migrated to Java in the 1850s, then he later prospered and moved his base to Penang in the early 1890s. Was well-known as a powerful Nanyang industrialist and a first-class Mandarin in the Manchu government, he was made Consul-General in Singapore and economic advisor to the Empress Dowager.

He had eight wives and owned many residences throughout his trading empire (mostly Southeast Asia) but made Penang as his base, where he raised his six sons as well.

The Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion was built throughout the seven years from 1896 to 1904 by the teams of master craftsmen he brought from China. This mansion is only one of three of its kind left outside China. The mansion is the only stately Chinese-type dwelling representing the best of 18th and 19th century Chinese architecture in the State.

Tours of Cheong Fatt Tze mansion are available at 11.00 am on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays & Saturdays.

* Price : RM 10.00 per person. Tickets may be purchased at the Mansion




13) FORT CORNWALLIS





Fort Cornwallis - named after the Governor-General in Bengal, Charles Cornwallis – is  one of the most interesting historical landmarks in George Town, located close to the Esplanade, next to the Victoria Memorial Clock.

The fort's walls, roughly 10 feet high, are laid out in star-like formation. A stroll along the perimeters takes roughly 10 minutes.  Inside the fort, one can still see some of the original structures built over a century ago, including a chapel, prison cells, which were once used as barracks, a munitions storage area, a harbour light once used to signal incoming ships, the original flagstaff and several old bronze canons, one of which is a Dutch canon called the Seri Rambai, dated 1603. An interesting note about the Seri Rambai - some locals believe that this particular canon can have a positive effect on a woman's fertility. 

Today, this privately managed historical site is popular among visitors, equipped with a tourist information kiosk, cafe, an open-air amphitheatre, a history gallery, a souvenir centre as well as guides who can take you around the fort grounds and provide you with a glimpse of the fort's history.

History
One of the earliest structures in Pulau Pinang, Fort Cornwallis was erected in 1786, not long after he acquired Pulau Pinang for the East India Company, from the Sultan of Kedah. The site where the fort was built is actually the first place where Light disembarked from his ship in 1768. Fort Cornwallis was originally built of nibong palms, but was replaced in 1804 with a sturdier stone and brick  structure.

Although built for defense by design, throughout its existence, Fort Cornwallis served more as an administrative centre for the British, having survived without much threat of enemy attacks. Fort Cornwallis was once surrounded with a moat roughly 9m wide and 2m deep. Along the perimeters of the fort's wall, several canon bays were strategically placed overlooking the harbour in the north and the port activities along the eastern waterfront. In the 1920's due to a malaria outbreak in the area, the moat surrounding Fort Cornwallis was filled in.

The chapel located on the south-west corner of the fort is the first chapel ever built on Penang island and was used by the British and Europeans living there. The first-ever recorded service, however was in 1799 when John Timmers wedded Martina Rozells, the widow of Francis Light.

* Opening hours:  9am-6.30pm daily
Admission: Adult- RM3.00, Child- RM2.00




14)  PENANG WAR MUSEUM




It was at Bukit Batu Maung, on the southern part of Pulau Pinang that the battle against the invading Japanese army was lost. In the 1930, a formidable fortress was built by the British army atop Bukit Maung, to protect the island against the enemy. Manned by not only British soldiers, but also Malay and Sikh soldiers, Bukit Maung fell during an attack in which the Japanese army approached from inland, rather than from sea, as was expected by the British army.

From that day onwards, the fortress at Bukit Maung transformed into a Japanese army base with a dark history, filled with narrations of how prisoners were tortured for information to help forward the advancement of the Japanese army into Malaya. As a result, Bukit Maung, in the years following the fall of the Japanese army in 1945, the locals in the area kept well away of Bukit Maung for fear of its reputation as a place of hauntings by ghosts of dead soldiers.

The fortress was constructed over 20 acres of land, complete with underground military tunnels and ventilation shafts, ammunition bunkers, logistic centre, canon firing bays, sleeping quarters, cook houses and medical infirmary. After several years of restoration and clearing the fortress area that was covered by shrubs and growths after so many years of abandonment, the fortress was turned into the War Museum by a local Penangite, Johari Shafie three decades later.

Today, a slow walk through the fortress will fire the imagination on what once was. From the canon firing bay  the Straits of Melaka is clearly visible. Although the original canons are no longer on site, it is not difficult to imagine how British, Malay and Sikh soldiers once took turn manning the canon bays day and night, guarding against enemy attach from sea. A simple, but no less remarkable section of underground tunnels – one even leads all the way to the sea, acting as an access tunnel to get to submarines – forces one to walk, or even crawl through very narrow, confined places. 

* Opening Hour : 9.00am to 6.00pm daily



15) PENANG MUSEUM






Walk into the compound of the Penang State Museum, and you will first be greeted by a regal bronze statue of Captain Francis Light, the founder of the Penang Straits Settlement, gazing down upon you.

Once you set foot inside the museum building, you will see why the State Museum located along Jalan Farquhar in Georgetown is reputed to be one of the best state museums in the country. Divided into galleries dedicated to Penang's historical communities, as well as particular historical events that took place in Penang, the museum houses a fine collection of old photographs, maps, historical documents, Chinese furniture, embroidery, costumes and other historical relics.

On the first floor where the Art Gallery is located, works of local artists and paintings of old Penang are on display, namely those by William Daniels and Captain Robert Smith. From time to time, special exhibitions are held here.


History of Penang Museum
A Narrative timeline of events selected from the history of the Penang Museum and Art Gallery.
1817    Donations from the East India Company enabled the construction of the building under the supervision of Captain Robert Smith (Royal Engineer). Captain Smith oversaw the building plans to ensure that it became and educational centre.
1821

The building was named the Penang Free School catered for the children in Penang. It was so named because it accepted students from all walks regardless of race.
1928

In January, Hutching School took over this building after the Penang Free School moved to Green Lane.
1942 Approximately half the building comprising of the west wing was
destroyed by a bomb attack in World War II.


* Opening Hours: 9:00am to 5:00pm Closed on Friday and Public Holidays

Admission Fees 
Art Gallery : Free Admission
Museum : RM 1.00 Adult / RM 0.50 Children




16) PINANG PERANAKAN MANSION





The Peranakans, also known as the Babas and Nyonyas, was a prominent community of acculturated Chinese unique to this part of the world, especially in the Straits Settlements (Penang, Malacca and Singapore) hence its other name, the Straits Chinese. Adopting selected ways of the local Malays and later, the colonial British, the Peranakans had created a unique lifestyle and customs which had not only left behind a rich legacy of antiques but its cultural influences like cuisine and language are still evident in Penang today.

At the Pinang Peranakan Mansion, the typical home of a rich Baba of a century ago is recreated to offer a glimpse of their opulent lifestyle and of their many customs and traditions. With over 1,000 pieces of antiques and collectibles of the era on display, this Baba-Nyonya museum is also housed in one of Penang’s heritage mansion of eclectic design and architecture. Built at the end of the 19th century by one of local history’s famous personalities, the ‘Hai Kee Chan’ or Sea Remembrance Store had once served as the residence and office of Kapitan Cina Chung Keng Kwee. Though not a Baba himself, his Chinese courtyard house was much like a typical large Baba home of eclectic style, incorporating Chinese carved-wood panels and English floor tiles and Scottish ironworks. Having survived the many decades of neglect and decay, the mansion has now been restored to its former glory of a stately home.

Note:
Videography and photography are not allowed within the mansion. Any use of photographs or video clips for commercial purposes without the express written consent from the Management is strictly prohibited.

* Visiting Hours
Mondays - Saturdays from 9 am to 5 pm
Daily conducted tour at 11.30 am and 3.30 pm sharp.
(Closed on Sundays and all public holidays. Kindly make prior arrangments for conducted tours and the viewing of the mansion)

Admission
Adults (Ages 12 and above) : RM10.00
Children (below 12) : Free
School children (in uniform) : RM5.00



17) ST GEORGE CHURCH



The building of the church

With the help of The East India Company, the church was built in 1816 using convict labor during Colonel J. A. Bannerman's term as British Governor of Penang. The inspiration behind the formation of the church, however, was credited to Rev. Robert Sparke Hutchings, a well known educationist and Robert Smith, an engineer and landscape artist.

Rev. Hutchings contributions towards the development of Penang from an educational perspective are significant – he founded the Penang Free School and compiled and wrote what were considered the first books on Malay grammar, in addition to several elementary text-books and a dictionary mainly for school use. He founded the Auxiliary Bible Society and translated the New Testament into Malay.

The cost of building the church was 60,000 Spanish Dollars. To give you a rough idea on the significance of that amount, Singapore was sold to the British sometime in 1819 for the same price! On 11 May 1819, the church was consecrated by The Rt. Rev. Thomas Middleton, Bishop of Calcutta. 

* Opening hours: 9.00am - 5.00pm



18) PENANG HILL





Penang Hill is the state's foremost hill resort. Although it was originally called Flagstaff Hill, the locals have always affectionately referred to it as Penang Hill or Bukit Bendera. At about 830 metres (2,750 feet) from sea level, the temperature on the hilltop is considerably cooler than the nether lands. On regular weekdays, the hill is pretty quiet and can serve as a recuperative getaway, far from the madding crowd and city heat.

The name change from Penang Hill to Bukit Bendera (I don't quite remember when exactly) actually takes it back to the early days of Penang Hill, when a flag fluttering from a flagstaff or flagpole on Bel Retiro, the home of Penang's governor at the time, was used as a beacon, or signal 'transmitter' to Fort Cornwallis. 


History
According to history books, it was Francis Light who first plotted a pack-horse track to Penang Hill from the Botanic Gardens waterfall way back in 1788. During the 19th century, British colonials built bungalows on the hill for private use. Even during the early part of the 20th century, the bungalows on higher ground were home to planters and administrators while the rich Chinese towkays built theirs, which were no less grandiose, on the way up the hill.

Before the completion of the funicular railway, those wanting to travel up Penang Hill had to do so by being seated in a sedan chair (one passenger per chair) held aloft by six bearers. Each bearer was paid 46 cents per trip.

The first attempt at constructing a railway began in 1897, and construction was completed only in 1906. Service was launched in 1923. On 4 December 1979, four modern Swiss-made coaches replaced the slow and rickety old ones. The new coaches travel at an average rate of 1.5 metres per second, and takes about 25 minutes or so to travel along the length of the railway track, which is 2007 metres long. The height at the apex is 701 metres above sea level. In the picture on the right, the new coach is making its maiden journey up while the old one is heading back to the lower station – for the last time.

Although common in Europe and Japan, the funicular railway in Penang is reputedly one-of-a-kind in Southeast Asia.

An actual specimen of the old coach now sits outside the Penang Museum, and serves as a souvenir shop owned by the Penang Heritage Trust. Some of the original houses still stand. These include the Bel Retiro, Convalescent, Grace Dieu and Fairmont. 


Ticket Fares
Ticket Prices
Harga Ticket
Standard
Biasa
My Card
Adult ( Dewasa )RM30.00RM8.00
Senior Citizen ( Warga Emas )RM30.00RM4.00
Child ( Aged 4 -12 years )
Kanak-kanak ( Berusia 4 - 12 tahun )
RM15.00RM4.00
School/College/University Student
Pelajar Sekolah/Kolej/Universiti
RM15.00RM4.00
Family Package
Pakej Keluarga

2 Adult + 1 Child
2 Dewasa + 1 Kanak-kanak
RM65.00RM17.00
2 Adult + 2 Child
2 Dewasa + 2 Kanak-kanak
RM70.00RM18.00
2 Adult + 3 Child
2 Dewasa + 3 Kanak-kanak
RM75.00RM19.00
One Way (Sehala) - Adult/DewasaRM17.00RM5.00
One Way (Sehala) - Child/Kanak-kanakRM10.00RM2.00
Disabled Person
Orang Kurang Upaya
Complimentary
Percuma


Funicular train schedule: 6.30am - 9.15pm (Mon, Thur, Sun) ~ 6.30am - 11.15pm (Fri & Sat)

19) PENANG NATIONAL PARK






History and fact

The Penang National Park spanning 1,213ha of land and sea awaits scientists, researchers and nature lovers to explore its myriad of natural treasures.

Previously known as the Pantai Acheh Forest Reserve, this pristine site harbours a wealth of 417 flora and 143 fauna species. Pantai Acheh Forest Reserve, located at the northwestern tip of Penang was declared the Penang National Park in April 2003.

Penang National Park is the first protected area legally gazetted under the National Park Act of 1980, signifying the State and Federal Governments’ efforts in protecting the environment.

Penang National Park was set up to preserve and protect flora and fauna as well as objects with geological, archaeological, historical, ethnological and other scientific and scenic interests. The park is unique as it contains several different types of habitat including a meromictic lake (a lake in which some water remains partly or wholly unmixed with the main water mass at circulation periods), wetlands, mangroves, mudflats, coral reefs and turtle nesting beaches.


Flora and fauna

The unique features here are five habitat types not found in the other major Malaysian nature reserves. The park is a haven for a wealth of 417 flora and 143 fauna species. Among the animals spotted at the park and its surroundings are dolphins, otters, Hawksbill turtles and monkeys.

Secondary forest is the main feature here. The beach is long and plants are aplenty ranging from rocky bonsai to timber and herbal plants. Trees and plants which can be found here include Chengal, Meranti Seraya, Jelutong, Gaharu, Tongkat Ali and Bintangor.

Disturbed secondary forest and hardy plants such as screw pines dominate the coast. The red paper-like bark of the pelawan trees are abundant; undergrowth and ferns spread between the trees.  Other noticeable trees planted include casuarina trees, sea almond, cashew nuts and the swaying coconut palms.

Several mangrove trees are found along the Tukun beach. Wild orchids can be sighted on steep rocky slopes and cashew nuts are common here, indicating that some agricultural activities had taken place here many years ago. Fully-grown timber trees are found inside the forest beyond the coast. There are also pitcher plants (nepenthes spp), which managed to survive the coastal habitat.

The dusky leaf monkeys and the long tailed macaque can also be seen. Birds are aplenty, noticeable big birds like the White Bellied Sea Eagles and the Brahminy Kites and kingfisher occasionally can be see here.

Mammals such as wild boars, wild cats, civet cats, sea otters, mousedeer, rats, bats and squirrels and crabs, fishes and large prawns, monitor lizards and snakes are common here. There is also the occasional landing of turtles here.


Attraction and activities

Proper camping ground and amenities provided by the authorities make camping a luxury. Bird watching should not be missed here. The natural swimming pools provide a good place for family outings and nature camps.
Teluk Bahang Beach

This is a shady camping ground, and with civilization just around the corner, it makes a suitable venue for family outings. At the Teluk Bahang roundabout, continue straight towards the fishing jetty and you will be able to see a restaurant called “End of the World”. Follow trail 1A from here. This beach is easily accessible within walking distance from the jetty and the restaurant.

It should be noted that Teluk Bahang is the area where the Bahang Bay is located. It is usually confused with the Teluk Bahang township. The panoramic fishing jetty engulfing the backdrop is a rare sight which is built of mangrove timber and palm trunks.

Teluk Tukun
Use trail 1A-1B, and it is about 20 minutes from the End of the World restaurant. The trail is a clear and easy walk along the coast to reach Teluk Tukun beach. Camping grounds are built along Tukun River. Tukun River flows into Teluk Tukun. A small island opposite is Pulau Tukun Tengah. The national park headquarters are situated near here. There are several small swimming pools for campers.

Tanjung Aling
Follow the coastal trail via Sungai Tukun with trail 1A-1B-1C; it will take about 30 minutes to reach Tanjung Aling from Teluk Bahang.

Tanjung Aling houses the USM research centre and the forest and coastal areas are being used for research on bio-technology. There is a jetty to bring in supplies from town. The beach is easily accessible and it is a suitable camping site for campers. It is also a resting place for visitors enroute to Muka Head (Teluk Duyung).

Teluk Duyung (Muka Head)
You can walk or take a boat (only during high tide) to Teluk Duyung. You can reach Teluk Duyung about one and half hours from Teluk Bahang by using trail 1A-1B-1C-1D. Teluk Duyung is a beautiful bay protected by the Muka Head's cape.

On Head's peak stands a majestic lighthouse built in 1883. A burial ground of at least 80 years resembles that of Indonesian Acheh and is an interesting historical artifact. The lighthouse peak offers a panoramic view of the surrounding islands.

Teluk Ketapang
A small isolated beach originally known as Monkey Beach. “Teluk Ketapang” is derived from the numerous sea almond trees known locally as Pokok Ketapang. This isolated beach can be easily accessed by boat from Teluk Bahang jetty; alternatively you can try trail 1A-1B-1C-1D-2.

Pantai Kerachut
The meromictic lake is the greatest attraction here. It is a popular picnic and camping site and famous turtle hatchery. Pantai Kerachut is the only beach where the Green Sea Turtle “Chelonia mydas” can be spotted. It is believed that the Green Turtle only migrates here for nesting.

From End of the World, follow the track along the coast until you cross a suspension bridge. Take the path on the left that leads away from the coast, or just use1A-6A-6B-6C/6D/6E. You should be able to reach Pantai Keracut in one hour and a half.

Teluk Kampi
Teluk Kampi has the longest beach in the park. There are many artifacts and past history. The tell-tale signs of trenches found along the northern coast indicates a defense post for the Japanese Army during World War 2. Teluk Kampi is another isolated beach that guarantees an easy and relaxing trip.

The most common trail is the one from Pantai Kerachut over Tanjung Kerachut and down to Teluk Kampi using trail 1A-6A-6B-6D-6E-8A-8B-8C.

Pantai Mas
Pantai Mas is a golden beach. Formally a coconut plantation, it is now an overgrown wasteland. Being very close to civilization, mud and mangroves create a wilderness few people would like to go to. The difficulty in accessing Pantai Mas by sea could be the reason why dwellers abandoned their homes here.

Accessing Pantai Mas with fishing boats is only available during high tides. Alternative access is through the trails from United Hokkien Cemetery or the longer ridge trail starting from Teluk Bahang. The easier walking trail will be from Pantai Acheh village. It will take about 45 minutes, trail indication is 15A-15B-15C.

Bukit Telaga Batu
The highest point is Batu Itam at 1500 feet on the southern flank of the Park. Bukit Telaga Batu is about 1100 feet.




20) TROPICAL SPICE GARDEN







Opened on 27 November 2003, TROPICAL SPICE GARDEN is an agrotourism project showcasing over 500 varieties of exotic and endemic tropical flora, particularly spices, spread over eight acres of secondary jungle. This project is endorsed by the Penang State Government and privately funded by Bertam Consolidated Rubber Co. Ltd., a company involved in palm oil estates in Malaysia. The main focus of the Garden is to create awareness of the natural environment and the importance of plants through its vital programmes of conservation, education and research.

The Garden, conceptualised by David and Rebecca Wilkinson, was started by assembling a team that included landscape designer, Lim In Chong, and Frederick Walker, as Project Manager. With conservation and education rooted into the design concept, the team took on the challenge of harmonising over 500 species of tropical flora with the natural valley fronting the Strait of Malacca. Preservation of the indigenous flora and fauna together with maintaining the original topography of the site was crucial to achieving this objective. Water was to be a prominent feature. Natural and recycled building materials salvaged from pre-war shop houses or sourced from antique stores locally were used extensively in the construction of the built structures. Our Garden uses organic compost and biological pest control in its quest for biological diversity and environmental awareness.


Visitor Centre
SPICE MUSEUM 
Our galleries host collections on the origins of the spice trade, historical spice routes and how spices are produced or processed on permanent display. There is also a gallery dedicated to a changing show or exhibition.
GARDEN SHOP
Ask for any of the interesting and unusual plants found in the Garden, many of which are propagated for sale. Gardening accessories and organic fertilizers and a helpful gardening tip or two are also available.

5 comments:

  1. last year I came with my family in Penang Island and my and my son like the toy museum and he said he need all toys. That was very memorable moment my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smooth journey. Clean and tidy. Fun. On time pick up and with Wi-Fi connection some more! What a cool taxi service in town.. Highly recommended Mr. Kim as your personal taxi chauffeur!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super nice holiday trip with Happy Pearl Island Tour! They really have wifi service inside and the driver is so friendly and safety driving skill! On top of that their pick up is so punctual! Highly reccomended and thumbs up to Happy Pearl Island!! Keep up your good job! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to meet this company tour service as their car is so clean and safety condition! Driver is punctual for pick up and is very friendly! I highly reccomended to those who wanted to take touring service in Penang! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete